Sunday, August 9, 2015

Bundle of Sticks

In Unity Is Strength

As a mother with an almost 3 year old and almost 5 year old, sibling arguments happen more than I'd care to admit. However, after reading this story, I now have another bit of "ammo" to use during the wars. As I hear the girls voices becoming louder and more angrier, I say, "Girls, remember the fable about the boys and the sticks? What did we learn?" Most of the times, not all, Sonia will say, "don't argue and work together." Depending on the situation, I'm usually able to use this moment as a way to redirect, help them come to a resolution or at least just get them to separate areas of the house. Ha!
 
 
Today, MGT focused on reading comprehension in one of the activities and I was shocked that Sonia could answer correctly all of the Level 1 and 2 questions and all but 1 of the Level 3 questions. She had a problem with imagining what the boys could be arguing about because the story never said it. I am going to work on more imaginative play with her leading the dialogues in the future so that she can see how creative she can be and slowly introduce "inspiration" to her. We can hear a story, see a show or an event and become inspired to do something of our own. Let's see! :)
 
 
 
We had made our batch of home made play dough a few days ago so Counting Sticks came at a perfect time. For Sonia, I used this as a time to work on addition and subtraction. She would spin the wheel, add the sticks. Spin the wheel again, figure out if we had to add or subtract from what we had already and repeat. She was engaged in this activity for almost 30 minutes!
 







For Daniella, it was all about number recognition and counting. Spin the wheel, I would tell her the number and she would count the sticks. Simple but on her level and she stayed involved for about 15 minutes!
 





 
 
The next project worked on Sonia's writing and social relationships. We discussed our family and how much we all love her. This was particularly great for us as we are a recent "broken" family and it was nice to drive home that, even though, Mommy and Daddy don't live together, we still love Sonia and Daniella just the same as when he did live here.
 
I dictated the letters, she wrote her all of her family members down, connected the chain and we hung it in the kitchen!
 







 
 
 
** Mother Goose Time allows me to follow two of my biggest passions. Educating my children and writing! I am honored to work with Mother Goose Time. I do receive the curriculum in exchange for my blog posts but every word in here is honest and a true example of this curriculum in a multi age home practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment