Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Learning About Traffic Signs

What traffic signs do you know?


When driving, I have always talked about the traffic lights and some signs to Sonia and Daniella but this lesson took it to another level. After we went through these activities, Sonia asks about every sign on the road and is so interested in learning about them. I'm impressed with her eagerness to soak it all in.

What do the colors on the light mean?

We started off with a dance party. When I held up the green light, they danced fast. When I held up the yellow light, they danced slowly. When I held up the red light, they stopped dancing. We began our craft. Sonia colored the paper plate and let it dry. She folded the black paper in half lengthwise and put the colored stickers on. She then, cut the paper plate in half, taped one piece on each end of the traffic light and then attached yarn as a hanger. After that, we had another dance party with our new traffic light.
 








 

How do the shape and color of a sign help us to know what it means?

Mother Goose Time provided amazingly awesome wooden traffic signs that we used to talk about signs on the road. We set them out on the table and played with cars and I let the girls free play and just watched and answered whatever questions they had. It was a great time!
 
 






What does an orange traffic sign usually mean?

I explained to Sonia that orange signs usually signal construction. Sometimes you may have to follow them to take a different path to where you are going. Which is also called a detour.
 
Then I set the cones out on the floor and gave Sonia the big orange sign. I rolled the dice and Sonia followed the movements to weave in and out of the cones.
 
It is really amazing to me that Sonia will retain and stay more attentive when movement is added to the lesson. After this, we went to a friends house and there was construction. She asked me if I had to take a detour! Learning through play is the best!
 
 



 
** Mother Goose Time allows me to follow two of my biggest passions. Educating my children and writing! I am honored to work with Mother Goose Time. I do receive the curriculum in exchange for my blog posts but every word in here is honest and a true example of this curriculum in a multi age home practice.





No comments:

Post a Comment