Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Taking Care of Our Pet

Welcome, Potato!

 
 
 
This week we learned about helping around the house, my favorite! One of the lessons was how to take care of our pets. The girls are extremely knowledgeable on this subject as I am the Founder of a Not-for-profit senior animal rescue Bundles of Love. Each day they help as much as they can. Some days that means feeding, cleaning up their bowls, bathing and brushing. It's not always easy for them as they fall in love with their "pets" and often times they are adopted to another family or we have to let them go to heaven.
 
 
The weekend before we were going to do this lesson, one of our senior cats Jax was diagnosed with GI Lymphoma and we had to say good bye. A few days later, his sister Kitten was adopted and off she went to her new family. That night, Sonia looked at me and asked me, with tears in her eyes, if she could have a pet that was all hers. A pet that wouldn't go to someone else's house or heaven. My heart broke. I promised her we would.
 
 
I am an animal rescuer, so you won't find me in a pet store. I rescue senior animals so I am definitely not going to get a baby. Off I went to good 'ol Facebook and my moms group. I made a quick post about what I was looking for and in less than an hour we had a meet and greet set up. A family who found they didn't have time for their guinea pig was willing to let us have, Potato. We met this 5 year old amazing piggy and scheduled a time that this loving family would drop her off at her home, set up and all!
 
We had a few hours before she arrived, so we hurried home, cleaned a spot and started our lesson. It was perfect timing.
 
 
 
 
Sonia loves the books that come in our Mother Goose Time curriculum because she loves to pretend she is an author. What I didn't know was that she was able to recognize words! From our book, I learned that Sonia can recognize "cat", "love" and a few other words. How amazing! Daniella loves to color and tape the book together. You will often find the girls in their comfy library, reading their books to each other.
 


 
 
 
We have 4 dogs and both girls are a very active part of training them so when we talked about training, they jumped off of the seats, grabbed the cookies and started asking them to "sit", "down" and to "stay". (I couldn't get a picture of this because it's pretty chaotic as you can imagine!)
 
Afterwards, they sat down and colored their bones.
 
 
One of my favorite parts of this curriculum is the opportunity it gives me to watch my children play together. Next up was Build a Bird. They happily rolled the dice, matched the pieces and built their very own bird.
 


 
 
 
We got the call that Potato was on her way so we squealed and then waiting. After she arrived, we went on the Internet and found out what Potato needs to be a happy, healthy pig. Each day we let her exercise for at least 1 hour, we feed her fresh veggies along with her regular food and provide fresh, clean water every day. I clean her cage, with Sonia's supervision, 2x a week and we will be bringing her to see the vet next week for an overall health check.
 




 
 
We love our new pet, we love our old pets and we love Mother Goose Time!
 
 
** Mother Goose Time allows me to follow two of my biggest passions. Educating my children and writing! I am honored to work with Mother Goose Time. I do receive the curriculum in exchange for my blog posts but every word in here is honest and a true example of this curriculum in a multi age home practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment