Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Knock Knock...Who's There

When we talk about homes, we often focus on the rooms and the types of homes we live in but Mother Goose Time really makes us think about the entire house! This lesson was based on doors and windows and Sonia loved every second of it.

We were able to work on our math concepts, our creative thinking, visual arts, fine motor skills, logic and our letter and number recognition through todays curriculum.

First we started with our lost keys. Sonia is quite familiar with this concept as mommy is often saying, "where are my keys?". When I asked Sonia what she would do if she lost her keys, she matter of factly responded with..."Find them." Ha!

We put the keys out and first sorted them by colors and then we went to the math part. I asked her to make piles of 5 keys in each, we counted the piles after and then each individual key to find that there were 24 keys. I then challenged her and asked her to take away as many keys as she needed to make 20. It took her lots of times but she finally got it without any help from me. I enjoyed watching her problem solve and this reinforced adding and subtracting in a super fun way.



After all of that thinking, I decided it would be a good time to move on to something more creative and we started on our paper bag house. She cut out windows, doors and the roof. We stuffed newspaper into the bag and then she glued on her pieces. Sonia enjoyed this activity very much and you can tell how into it she was.










Then we were off to the game of Guess Which Door. I laid out all of the doors and gave her clues to which door I was thinking of. I loved watching her excitement as she took away the doors that didn't fit my clues and got the right door. She actually played with the doors for quite some time after we were done as well.




** Mother Goose Time allows me to follow two of my biggest passions. Educating my children and writing! I am honored to work with Mother Goose Time. I do receive the curriculum in exchange for my blog posts but every word in here is honest and a true example of this curriculum in a multi age home practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment