Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Boys and the Frog


Our last day of Fables and Folktales and I must say, I am so sad to see this theme go. I probably could have went on for a very long time with this one. Luckily, we took a few days off, so when we are home, we will be utilizing those days!

Stories can bring up a lot from our memories and this is what this story did for Sonia. We read the Boys and The Frogs and I asked her the reading comprehension questions.

"How do you think the frogs felt in the story?"

Sonia started to talk about two of her favorite dogs in our animal hospice that had passed earlier this year. She said the story reminded her of Dutchie and Cotton Candy because people were being mean to the frogs, just like the dogs old owners before we saved them. From this, she went on to explain how she knows they are in heaven playing together but she wishes they were here on her lap so she could play with them. It is these teachable moments that I begin to thank God, He has called me to home school my girls. If she were in school and told this story, the teacher would have no idea what she was referring to and moved past it. Because she is with me, we were really able to discuss death, our hospice and being kind to animals. We looked at pictures of Dutchie and Cotton Candy and giggled about how silly they were.




After that heavy moment, I lightened up the mood with a game of Leap to Safety.

"How does a frog move?"

Sonia began to hop as high as she could. I took out the trampoline and let her jump for a few minutes to help her transition and she was ready to play the game! She loved flipping the frog onto the leap pad. She was quite determined to play the game the way the instructions said and she really aimed to get the frog on the matching color of the card she picked. I love her determination.






We slowed down the day with a beautiful arts and craft. Sonia punched out the numbers, put the correct number of gems on each one and colored on them as well.





It was a heavy day and an unexpected moment. So after school, we had ice cream and went to the playground with her sister!


** Mother Goose Time allows me to follow two of my biggest passions. Educating my children and writing! I am honored to work with Mother Goose Time. I do receive the curriculum in exchange for my blog posts but every word in here is honest and a true example of this curriculum in a multi age home practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment