Thursday, December 31, 2015

She Marches to the Beat of Her Own Drum

Don't mind Sonia's hair or that crazy shirt. Some days she just refuses all help from me and as long as we aren't going anywhere, I don't fight with her. She's 5 and she has such an amazing personality. Something happens at 5, they shift from the crazy toddler hurricane and begin to settle into themselves. I'm a believer that, as a parent, my job is to let her guide me and allow her to become her own person. My job is not to shape or form her into what I think she should be. Now, this doesn't mean she gets to stay up until 1am watching YouTube or eat candy for breakfast (every day) but it does mean that if she wants to wear a crazy tie dye shirt and not brush her hair for the day, I am all for it! If she finds an interest in painting one week, it's my job to find and guide her through that and support her all the way. This brings me to Mother Goose Time.

It is December and the theme is Sights and Sounds. Today, we created our own drum. Now, normally Sonia will just color her own way and follow the instructions and be ok with that. However, today she asked to see the final product in the Teachers Packet and wanted to do it just like it. We had an extra 2 plates, so I did it as well. I have found that when I work alongside her she will be more interested in peeking over and trying to do exactly what I am doing. If she can't, she will ask for help and I will do hand over hand instructions. Believe me, this took me quite awhile to figure out but once I did, the frustrations ended and we began to enjoy school a lot more.

It can be quite frustrating to verbalize instructions and not have them understood but when you can show them, it shows them that it can be done, that you can help them and it also calms you down because we all know a little arts and crafts is a stress reliever!

This was a great craft and a few days later, we are still playing with it! Take a look at our pics and let me know what you think!






We also use the preschool curriculum in our home school, if you want to read more about those lessons, read archived blogs or check back for future posts.
 
"Like" us on the Chicken Nugget Mom Facebook page to see what we are up to each day.
 
And for the Moms and Dads, I have begun a Christian based blog, Perfectly Imperfect Life Warriors, and I will be kicking off some great Bible studies to inspire and empower us as we walk with Christ together. Next on the agenda is Proverbs 31:2016 - 31 verses in 31 days! Check it out!
 
 

** Mother Goose Time allows me to follow two of my biggest passions. Educating my children and writing! I am honored to work with Mother Goose Time. I do receive the curriculum in exchange for my blog posts but every word in here is honest and a true example of this curriculum in a multi age home practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment