Thursday, July 2, 2015

Hello, Mr. Beaver

After this months theme went through the types of homes people live in and the different areas of our homes, we began to learn about where animals live. The first stop were lodges and dens. So, we visited our friend, Mr. Beaver!

I asked Sonia what animals she the thinks live by the water and she named a few: ducks, birds, geese. I showed her a picture of a beaver and she recognized this fuzzy little creature and say, "oh yeah!! A beaver too!" I explained to her, like MGT prompted me to, that beavers use wood to build their lodges in ponds and rivers. They swim under the water to enter the lodge.

I then put the art supplies out on the table and allowed the girls to create their own lodges, however they wanted. Sonia decided she wanted to use some of the wood chips to create a tail for the beaver. I thought that was so creative and really showed her ability to problem solve and create a real life beaver.







Daniella had fun with the glue and I saw her piling the woodchips on top of each other to make the lodge. By the end of the art project, the pieces were all stuck to her hands but hey its the process not the product in our home.




Then, I decided that instead of me retelling the Three Bears story, I wanted to see what Sonia retained from the previous lessons on the bears and allow her and Daniella some free time to just explore. They used the pieces as puppets and began to retell the story on their own! It was really such a great feeling to watch Sonia teach Daniella and to see them playing so nicely together.





As a homeschooler, I often wonder if I'm doing a good enough job. Are they learning? Am I teaching new concepts on their level in a way that excites them to learn more? When we use Mother Goose Time, I get those answers. The way MGT formats the program is that they continue to build on concepts in a fun way and towards the end of each month begin reviewing what we have learned. So, when I can see that the concepts are sticking and that they are learning it warms my heart.

** Mother Goose Time allows me to follow two of my biggest passions. Educating my children and writing! I am honored to work with Mother Goose Time. I do receive the curriculum in exchange for my blog posts but every word in here is honest and a true example of this curriculum in a multi age home practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment