Saturday, May 2, 2015

Horsing Around

Horsin' Around in Home School



Every day I get the question, how do you do it? How are you able to home school among all the other responsibilities you have? Don't you think it would be easier to send the kids to school so you can have time for yourself? So you can work? So you can rest? Some days, I feel like I want to say YES. Please let me stop the madness! Most days, I just nod my head and pray for them. Pray that one day they will see THIS is my job, THIS is my responsibility and I have created some sort of balance where I am able to rest and have time for myself.

When I see my kids enjoying life on life's terms, exploring nature and learning hands-on lessons, I know in my heart, this is it for us.

By the grace of God, I met a beautiful woman named Rachel. She owns a horse and asked me if I'd like to bring my kids down to the barn to ride her. Well, if you know me, you know my love of animals and frankly there was simply no other answer but, OF COURSE.

Meet Rosie

 

Here's what I didn't know. I had no idea that this beautiful soul would not just put my kids on a horse and let them ride her around for a minutes. She had a lesson plan. This lesson plan took place 4 days ago and my kids are still talking about Rosie and Rachel. She taught them what to do when you get to the barn, how to feed her, how to brush her, how to get her dressed. She taught them the commands you use and how to actually control the horse. She taught them safety lessons. Without her even realizing it, she taught them how to love an animal much bigger then them and she helped them feel safe.

Let's check out Rosie's home




Now, does Sonia need to feel safe around animals? No. She is fearless and trusts all souls like no other kid I have ever seen. But she definitely needed to learn safety and care.

Here's where I was impressed. Daniella is afraid of all animals aside from her pets and those she really gets to know. With Rachel's time and love, she actually got Daniella to approach Rosie, feed her and even sit on her! She didn't ride her just yet, but we hope, in the future, she will.

Brushing Rosie and cleaning her hooves before we ride




 

Time to get Rosie dressed




 
 

Let's Ride!






 

Hats off to Rachel! She is not only a friend to me but now my kids talk about her Miss Rachel constantly and Sonia is counting the days until she can see her again. When I went food shopping, she requested apples and carrots so she can feed Rosie again.

Rosie deserves a treat!





 

These are the experiences that make my heart happy. Life is a journey and mine is Home Schooling. However, none of this could be done without caring individuals like Rachel, and of course Rosie.

Daniella waits her turn



 

Meet Rosie's Friends


 
 
Thank you for a wonderful experience Miss Rachel.

Walking back to her home

 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment